Featured IQ Installer: Kuno Kuenzle of Green Lizard
Installer Name: Kuno Kuenzle
Company Name: GREEN LIZARD
City/State/Country: Nova Scotia, Canada
We love talking to our Elite IQ Installers and asking them questions about their pioneering work in the renewable energy industry.
Our August 2021 Featured Elite IQ Installer is Kuno Kuenzle of GREEN LIZARD. An experienced electrician, carpenter, and mechanical maintenance crew member, Kuno advises that educating your customers and planning ahead ensures the best installations.
1. How long have you been in business and what type of installations do you typically do?
I am an electrician by trade and installed my first PV off-grid system in 2005. It was a steep learning curve, but I had good people on my side, like HES PV as one of my main suppliers here in Canada, and also attending some PV courses helped a lot. Installing mostly off-grid systems here in Nova Scotia, I decided to open my own business, GREEN LIZARD. Now, 11 years later, I am still mostly a one-man operation and I do grid-tie, grid-tie backup and still a lot off-grid PV installs for residential customers.
2. What motivates you to work in clean energy?
It is a calling, sounds cheesy, but it seems that I prepared myself for this many years ago with being an electrician, doing foundation work, working as carpenter, being part of a mechanical maintenance crew…so much knowledge that it makes my installs solid. And I just love it!
3. What are some of the most common installation requirements for your customers that need energy storage?
I do a lot of off-grid installs where the customers are too far from grid power.
4. What is your favorite project involving SimpliPhi Batteries?
7.8kW PV off-grid system with 8 x 3.8/48V SimpliPhi batteries.
5. Share some interesting feedback you have gotten from customers regarding energy storage installations.
Education! There are too many installs that are left with the customer not knowing what to do with their battery bank. And they really appreciate someone taking the time to explain the whole energy storage system to them, and if maintenance is necessary how and when to do that.
6. What are some tips and tricks you have for other SimpliPhi Elite IQ installers?
Don’t rush, don’t try to “CUT and PASTE”. There are similar systems, but no system is exactly the same as another one. PLAN ahead, take your time, do it once, do it right! Work with the customer.